The effects of hard water are caused by calcium and magnesium that naturally become dissolved in the groundwater as it passes though the earth. These minerals can accumulate on the inside of your plumbing pipes and fixtures, reducing water flow, and cause other problems such as staining, skin irritation, and reduced lathering in soaps.
Indications You Have Hard Water In Your Home Include:
- Stiff or rough clothing after washing
- Soaps won’t lather
- Soap scum and calcium build-up around plumbing fixtures (faucets, shower heads, and drains)
- Stains on dishes and utensils after cleaning
- Dry or irritated skin (particularly after taking a shower or bath)
Water softeners are designed to remove calcium and magnesium by replacing them with sodium during an ion exchange process, and once the system has removed large amounts of minerals, the system is flushed out and recharged with sodium to continue operating effectively.
Households With Water Softeners Benefit From:
- Better tasting water
- Softer clothes with brighter colors
- Cleaner dishes, cars, and plumbing fixtures
- Less money wasted on soap and shampoo
- Longer lifespan for water-using appliances
- Softer hair and smoother skin
Our licensed plumbers can install your new water softener in a matter of a few hours, typically on the main fresh water line for whole-home plumbing system protection. Other installation options exist for those concerned about sodium intake, such as hot water line installations. The cost to install a water softener will depend on the price of the system, the complexity of the installation, and the costs for labor and materials.